LegalJob recently received this insightful list from a partner resident in the Washington, D.C. office of a top national AmLaw 100 firm.
- Ask questions. If you don’t understand what I’m asking for or need guidance, ask. Always ask when I need the answer by and in what form I need it.
- Don’t ask me for the answer. If I knew it, I wouldn’t be asking you.
- Tell me what you think. Don’t be afraid to voice your opinion.
- Give me a realistic view of your workload. Don’t promise what you can’t deliver.
- Always give me your best product. I expect to review, correct and comment on drafts. I don’t expect to correct grammar and spelling nor do I expect to do your thinking for you.
- Write clearly and concisely.
- Keep me informed. If you don’t think that you are going to meet the deadline or you run into problems, let me know sooner rather than later.
- Make yourself indispensable.